07 August 2009

"I think that might be a view of eternity."




What a simple, and amazing quote from a complex and amazing guy. James May took a trip to the edge of space, to be precise, 70,000 feet up. This is what he saw...






I find it fascinating that a brilliant and touching show that did such justice to the accomplishments of the space program on the 40th Anniversary of the Moon Landing was not shown in this country. I likely wouldn't even know about it if I didn't partake in a tiny little bit of MayStalking via the internet. I happen to adore all things May, and pretty much anything he does leaves me feeling slightly in awe, but this program was pure tingles and shivers. And a few tears. It returns some of the feelings that must have been experienced forty years ago but with much better photography. It highlights the extreme coolness factor of the entire Space Program, not to mention the complete and total awesomeness of being an astronaut. Remember the day, when kids wanted to BE something when they grew up? Something that required dedication, intelligence, endurance, all for the prize of being a part of something so incredible that it was actually worth all the work required to get there. The title of this post is an actual quote from Mr. May, though you have to really hear it to appreciate the reverence with which it was spoken. What a guy...and I think he looks brilliant with that American Flag on his arm....


And that just makes my
Friday feel good !

1 comment:

Justine said...

Haven't seen the program yet. Looks cool city!