03 August 2009

Childhood memories, Indian food and Mitch Hedberg...

Since the sun is bright AND shiny today, I thought I might lunch on the veranda. Actually, it is more of a shabby deck, but, nonetheless, food just tastes better out there. I thought the sun might sprinkle my lily-white legs with a few more freckles. Plus, I felt that I might need a little Vitamin D, so out I went. As I was eating my mattar paneer, a strange event unfolded neath my footrest. A squiggly little lizard-type thing rushed across the blazing deck boards. He found a shady spot under the steps to the top level, and I got a good gander at him. He seemed relieved to have found the arctic zone as he swished his tail about, looking all cute. When I was a kid, I would not have stopped until I OWNED that lizard. I would have emerged from under the deck, covered in mud and muck and spider's webs with a tiny lizard gingerly, but firmly, between two fingers. I always save glass jars and margarine bowls, even now, and I know it harkens back to a day when I always needed a habitat for some new "pet". I digress. As I watched, I started to suspect that the tail-swishing wasn't exactly a gesture of relief, but possibly one of attraction or aggression, often with the male of the species it is difficult to distinguish between the two. (* Life Lesson Alert #1) Another little lizard emerged from 'neath the deck and my little friend proceeded to chase the newcomer. Again, not sure whether it was love or hate, but I appreciated my observer status in the whole episode. Somewhere inside still lurks the kid who used to be, because I wanted to drop my Indian food and give chase. But, ya' know, it was kind of fun to just sit and let it all unfold! Here's to the miniature dramas unfolding all around us. Next time you get the chance, take a moment and LOOK AROUND. You never know what you may see. Or remember...






"In England Smoky the Bear is not the forest fire prevention representative. They have Smacky the Frog. It’s just like a bear, but it’s a frog. I think it’s a better system, I think we should adopt it. Because bears can be mean, but frogs are always cool. Never has there been a frog hopping toward me, and I thought ‘man, I’d better play dead. Here comes that frog…’ You never say here comes that frog in a nervous manner. It’s always optimistic. Hey here comes that frog, all-right! Maybe he’ll come near me so I can pet him, and stick him in a mayonnaise jar, with a stick and a leaf, to recreate what he’s used to. And I’m pretty sure I’d have to punch some holes in the lid, because he’s damn sure used to air. Then I can observe him, and he won’t be doing much in his 16 ounce world."
-Mitch Hedberg

2 comments:

Justine said...

Mitch Hedberg is a favorite. It's a shame he left us so soon.

Humming Sue said...

1. i love mitch
2. i love you writing
3. i love chasing lizards